Small victories

Actually, this is something I figured out last year sometime –
In working my way through the “phase two’ engine/suspension project for the Toy, I had a problem with one of the hubs from the donor suspension: I had destroyed one of the wheel lugs during teardown, and ruined the stud it was on. (The wheel had cute ‘anti-theft’ lugs, and one of them had been ruined by someone before I got the car.)
Now, replacement studs are available, and it isn’t a big deal to have a new one pressed in. But the hub bearing had noticeable play, meaning it was worn out and needed replacement. When I removed it, I discovered that it had not been installed correctly, and the bolts were loose. Good thing I found that – loose suspension parts can be a big problem. Now, what to do?
A few years ago, I replaced both front hubs in my daily driver, an ’03 Regal. One of the old hubs was worn, and I replaced both of them.
I still had the units I removed. (Packrat? Guilty as charged.)
One of the removed hubs seems ok.
I cleaned everything up and installed the two best hubs. It may need new ones someday, but for now they are plenty good enough.

June 2016

I’ve been upgrading my workshop with an arc welder and a TIG torch. (also known as heliarc)
I am not getting the results I want from the TIG yet, need to figure that out.
I also have a small sandblasting cabinet and a few other odds and ends.
The finish welding for the engine cradle and suspension parts isn’t done, but has progressed a lot.
Everything went on hold for our summer vacation, and is slowly resuming.
Everything takes longer than it should!

The Toy – Project update

Recently, I got a good deal on a better motor and trans for the Toy.
It’s from a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville, and is a supercharged newer brother to the Toy’s motor. Well, I was going to need some odds and ends to put it together – these included:

  • Motor mounts and brackets
  • Axles for the newer transmission (possibly custom, if need to adapt late trans to old hubs)

I’ve also wanted to revise the rear suspension, to get rid of the struts and make room for wider tires.
For that project, I wanted:

  • A spare subframe – to build up with the new suspension
  • Later model A-arms, if possible – they are designed better than the Toy’s ’87 units.

I found a 1998 Buick Regal GS (the GS is Buick’s supercharged model, with the same performance stuff as the Bonneville) that was getting scrapped. The motor is bad, but the rest is there. This gives me:

  • Motor mounts and brackets
  • Axles that match the newer transmission
  • Hubs that match the axles and transmission
  • Subframe with later-style A-arms
  • Late style hubs, brakes, and related parts

In addition, “little” things like:

  • High capacity fuel pump (needed for supercharged motor)
  • Gauges (speedo and tacho) that work with the new style engine control computer
  • A spare transmission
  • Floor shifter and  linkage that work with the transmission
  • A spare engine computer, and complete wiring harness
  • Even a modern ignition switch (if I want to use it.)

And, this car belongs to the same body series as my 03 Regal – headlights, radiator (the ’98 has a new one) most interior parts, misc other stuff will fit. It even has the same wheels, with at least two pretty good tires.

The car is now at Don’s.
Let the fun begin!