April 2013 Updates

Throttle cable and notes on brakes

A pending problem gets fixed, and an existing situation considered.

Throttle Cable

Funny, there was quite a discussion of clutch cables on the VirtualVairs discussion list.
The Toy has an automatic trans, but it does have a cable for the throttle.
It was just some stranded steel cable of no particular heritage, and it finally failed Sunday.
It was in service for 3 1/2 years, and had shown distress and fraying where a pulley wasn’t well aligned.

I was able to re-route the cable through an access door and I tied it together so I could limp it home for repair.

The smallest stranded cable at Home Depot is substantially larger, but the individual strands might be smaller than the old one.
So, for about $3.50 it has a new cable.

We’ll see how long this one goes.

Brakes

A discussion (again on VirtualVairs) led me to consider the master cylinder setup in the Toy.

It (’61 Corvair platform and master cylinder) is feeding Tempest wheel cylinders in front, with 1 1/16 bore) and disks in back (from front of 87 Olds) with a proportioning valve in the front circuit. The brake system works ok, except that  it has more pedal travel than I’d like.

I thought the pedal travel was mainly due to the fact that the front brakes are tired and I can’t adjust the front shoes farther out without them dragging.
Then I realized that the large bore cylinders in front are part of the problem – it takes 70% more travel (of the master cylinder) to move them than it would a stock Corvair cylinder due to the greater fluid volume required. I don’t know how the rear disk affect pedal travel. Edit: The rear disks shouldn’t  require much pedal travel, because they are always adjusted up.

I went and adjusted the brakes again, and got the pedal back up to a decent level. The real solution will be to upgrade the fronts to disk.

 

One thought on “April 2013 Updates

  1. Some things I learned later:
    The drums weren’t very round – Later, when I finally installed new linings and had the drums machined (“turned”) The pedal improved. Then the master cylinder finally died and I rebuilt it – ended up with very good pedal height. So, it was a combination of factors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *